The world is your oyster!: "Miss, um, Connor?"        
 
                 
     
       

These are a few of my favorite things:

summertime
pina-colada flavored italian ice
ribbons
sisters
i.n.s.t.a.n.t...o.a.t.m.e.a.l.
dance parties
pearls
flamingos
America
missionaries
s.u.n.g.l.a.s.s.e.s.
playgrounds
dressing up
love :)
     
       

Pages

My name is Heather.

I am 22 years old.

I am an East Coast girl
who also loves Utah.

I love my life. How could I not?

The world is my oyster :)
Powered by Blogger.

I like that word....

I like that word....
mannnnhole.

The World is your Oyster

The World is your Oyster

I'm a Mormon

"If you love what you know, share it!"

Here's what I love:

mormon.org
lds.org

Followers

another traffic counter

blog traffic counter

     
     
       

Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Miss, um, Connor?"

For one of my practicum assignments, I have to say what type of learner each student in my class is: visual, auditory, or kinesthetic. I was going to do an activity today to find out, but we didn't have time, so now I am going through the class roster and just guessing based on what I've observed so far.

You guys, I never imagined that I would love these little 4th graders as much as I do. They are so cute! Sometimes Kensie will come over to my desk and say, shifting her weight girlishly as she talks, "Miss, um, Connor, I just need help on this part of the worksheet...." and I almost can't concentrate on the question because I think it's so cute how she says "Miss, um, Connor."

Sometimes Dawson has to come in early for a student council thing, and I see him in the hall and say, "Good morning, Dawson," and he waves all shyly at me and smiles.

Sometimes when Adam has a question, it takes him about four minutes just to ask it, because he thinks and talks a little slower. But he articulates his words so carefully, and pronounces his "t's" so distinctly, that I don't even mind.

As I'm going through their names now, I picture them working through a problem, or listening to me read, or coming in and getting started on math. I try to think of a time that I knew they really understood a certain concept, because that will tell me how they learn the best. Thinking of each one as a learner instead of just as a cute fourth-grader is very eye-opening for me! Instead of remembering the funny things they say, I remember the times when I noticed them really concentrating, or getting really confused, or suddenly having an epiphany.

Have you ever watched learning happen on a fourth-grade face? It is just as cute as watching them double-face-ninja off the monkey bars. And even more rewarding :)

2 comments:

  1. I once tutored a girl in reading during high school, it was the most rewarding thing when her eyes lit up when she could sound out a word. Little kids can be so cute! I'm glad you're enjoying your practicum so much :) you are already the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of my lil guy:) he was the cutest whenever he figured something out! the smartest kid of them all!
    And I am sooo glad that you love teaching so much! you are the best and I just want to send my future kids to your school!

    ReplyDelete