The world is your oyster!: A Brunette and a Blonde        
 
                 
     
       

These are a few of my favorite things:

summertime
pina-colada flavored italian ice
ribbons
sisters
i.n.s.t.a.n.t...o.a.t.m.e.a.l.
dance parties
pearls
flamingos
America
missionaries
s.u.n.g.l.a.s.s.e.s.
playgrounds
dressing up
love :)
     
       

Pages

My name is Heather.

I am 22 years old.

I am an East Coast girl
who also loves Utah.

I love my life. How could I not?

The world is my oyster :)
Powered by Blogger.

I like that word....

I like that word....
mannnnhole.

The World is your Oyster

The World is your Oyster

I'm a Mormon

"If you love what you know, share it!"

Here's what I love:

mormon.org
lds.org

Followers

another traffic counter

blog traffic counter

     
     
       

Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Brunette and a Blonde

They say that you never get a second chance at a first impression. But if that's true, I don't know how one particular friendship of mine has survived this long. Because the first impression I made on Caitlin was a super-dorky one.



The year was 2003. We were first-years at Girls Camp. I sprayed myself with bug spray. Then I sprayed the floor around me. Then I sprayed the doors. Then I put my bug spray back in my suitcase next to the second bottle of bug spray that I had brought for the week. 

Across the cabin, Caitlin put some makeup on and started talking about boys. I responded kind of shyly. Then I started writing in my journal. I was writing something really fascinating, like: "And then we had sloppy joes and apple slices for lunch. I hope the snack today is something cold because it is HOT!" Something like that. 

The week ended. Caitlin and I went our separate ways. We found ourselves in the same ward almost a year later, after the Great Ward Boundary Reorganization of 2004. And thus a wonderful friendship was born. 


Caitlin and I might as well have been joined at the hip every year when we went to Girls Camp. Those summers were filled with thousands of friendship bracelets, Rachel's honkin' huge air mattress, countless hours at the hammocks, conversations about boys in the stake, made-up headlines predicting our tragic deaths, French braids, testimony tissues, and embarrassing pictures. 


Stake dances were the best when we went together. Caitlin and I are great wing-girls for each other because we don't like the same boys and we are super-generous. Caitlin has this amazing ability to find the cutest boy in any situation. Seriously. And she is so selfless that she always looks for guys in pairs, one with blonde hair for me and one with brown hair for her. 



When I went out to Utah for school, Caitlin and I talked on the phone every Sunday. I would walk around Wyview for hours after church and we'd catch each other up on everything we had done that week.



One time, I was talking to Caitlin for Sunday chat and she said that she was thinking about moving out to Utah and going to school at UVU. I was so excited! I told her there was still space in my apartment and that she could be my roommate. 

I didn't think it would actually happen, since she would have to be moving out in the next two weeks, but it did! We've been roommates like 3 different times now. She makes delicious macaroni and cheese. We like the same TV shows. She has good advice on what to wear. We painted our apartment super-cute. We laughed probably 200 times a day. I'm so excited to be her roommate again in the fall!


Caitlin has such a big heart and she is so good at finding things to love about people. She can make you feel like a million bucks. Seriously, if there was such a thing as a confidence-meter, it would show that my confidence jumps whenever I spend lots of time with Caitlin. She just builds people up like nobody's business!

She is always there for me. She gives good advices and always knows what to say to make me feel better if I'm feeling sad. Sometimes I think she knows me better than I know myself...which is a very handy trait in a friend. 



Caitlin is also a hard worker. I think it's so awesome that she picked up and moved 2000 miles away from home, by herself, with no car or anything, and started a life in Utah. She just came and found a job and figured out the bus system and made a million friends and became a Utah resident and joined a gym and invented some awesome cupcakes and bought some rock-awesome boots and enchanted all the boys, and it only took her a matter of days. 

She is so hard-working and good at everything she tries that it inspires me to be better! She is way more athletic than I am, but she always encourages me. And most of the time, she doesn't even mind when I practice juggling her pink soccer ball in the kitchen of our apartment. 


Now the year is 2012. We have been friends for almost 10 years. Caitlin had been alive for 21 years, so that means that next year, we will have been friends for half of our lives. And what a good half it's been :)

No comments:

Post a Comment